Friday, May 8, 2009

Itsy-Bitsy Spider


An odd species of spider used to breed in our flat a few years ago. Our flat was full of them. It is quite different from house spiders; doesn’t jump or bungee jump with its thread, instead it bounces off like a ball from the surface where it sits and sticks to the surface again if disturbed. It moves faster than normal spiders. Small baby spiders can bounce off about a foot from the surface. Mature ones can bounce about two feet. It is the size of a jumping spider; golden brown in color and hairy legged. It doesn’t weave web, instead makes cotton ball like cocoons at the corner of the walls to lay eggs.

I thought it became extinct after the renovation of our flat. A mature one came suddenly two days ago from nowhere and crawled into my clothes. I thought it was ant. When I felt the crawling sensation I shook off the clothes and it came out. I got panicked. It scares me because of its bouncing habit. And I don’t know whether it is poisonous. I had kept it in a bottle leaving a small hole for air. The next day when I checked it was not there—must have squeezed out through the hole and hidden somewhere to scare me even more. It will come out any time and crawl on to me again. Though tiny it has a great survival sense. I have seen many kinds of spiders but not like this one. I am in search of that itsy-bitsy. When I was typing this about the spider, a jumping spider suddenly hopped on to the PC. I was taken aback. What a coincidence!

Spiders, cockroaches, ants, flies and lizards are unavoidable inhabitants of our dwellings. They come and take possession as if they have a right to share our houses. They survive on the tidbits they get from the house. How can we tell Nature not to create such creatures?

No comments:

Post a Comment