Monday, November 30, 2009

Thirst for Blood

Come winter and the mosquito population starts rising. Though they breed in water our houses and plants are their dwellings. There are mosquitoes as tiny as small black ants. Some mosquitoes breed on the plants. They make a cocoon out of leaves. It will look like lumps on the leaves. Once as I broke it open mosquitoes came out. Night is day and day is night for them. Mosquitoes may be blind as bats. I haven’t seen them get through a gap wide enough for them to enter.

They barge in by sunset and starts attacking. Their weapons are tubular needles attach to their heads. The virus applied needles are powerful to kill humans. These blood thirsty creatures will not let you keep quiet. They prick with the needles constantly and threaten in the ears, hmm, hmm, give us blood, or else we will not let you sleep. I say I will not give you a drop of blood; I am ready to fight. Swat and kill; it is the only way to get rid of them. Big mosquitoes are easy to swat. Small ones sting too much and are not visible. They make me do hip-hop. I get a rash all over when they bite. the needles can pierce through even thick clothes. I swat all mosquitoes that come closer to me with a cloth to avoid my hands get dirty and will not miss the target. I don’t want to become PETA’s pet. They might say trap the mosquitoes gently in a mosquito-trap and leave them outside. Mosquitoes like tea. When I make tea in the evening they will be ready in the kitchen hovering around the utensils. I bribe them with tea but they don’t seem pleased; will not leave me without getting a drop of blood.

A few years ago a man came with a device at the door and tried to convince me how effective the device is at the best of his communication skill. He had brought it a bag full to sell like kanta batata. I asked him how it works; he told me just plug it in and turn on the switch; mosquitoes will run away. I was impressed and bought two pieces in stead of one at a bargain. I bought it because I was desperately seeking a repellent. I plugged the device in seeking an auspicious time in the evening and waited for the result. As he said mosquitoes run away from the device but came towards me with a vengeance to sting more than before. I stopped using the device after two days. My money went into the pocket and he made me a fool. But I didn’t worry about the money I lost, instead I felt pity because these sales girls and boys have to roam around the entire city whether it rain or shine and climb up and down the stairs to earn a livelihood. It is a tiresome job and all they get is frustration. Residents will slam the door at their face.

All companies that making mosquito-repellent boast of the efficiency of their products. No repellent seems effective. Mosquitoes get immune to them in two days. Good knight doesn’t say good night; All-out doesn’t get them all out. Coil smoke will fill in the room and go into our lungs and irritate the throat. These power and money wasting devices are not only useless but also could kill us slowly due to inhaling the fume. Fumigation can kill other harmless creatures also it is harmful to us. Burn coils; burn everything; burn down your house if you want. Nothing will happen to mosquitoes. If you want to sleep well use net, or toss and turn all the night.


PS: Obama angers Peta: US President Barack Obama has apparently left People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) unhappy by killing a fly during a television interview, for the animal rights organization is now sending him a device that allows users to trap a house-fly and then release it outside—it is a stale news from TOI.

Isn’t it ridiculous? If we can’t kill a fly how can we live on this earth? And what is use of protecting a fly? It will go straight into other creature’s mouth. What they think about the animals which become prey to other animals? Why don’t they protect them?

No comments:

Post a Comment